sábado, 13 de julio de 2013

¿Quién soy yo?

Hello, and welcome!  My name is Melissa Strong--or "Sra. Strong"--, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you this year!

But first, who am I?  Let's see...  This is my 10th year teaching at Harvard-Westlake School.  I began learning Spanish in elementary school (no, my family doesn't speak Spanish!), partly because so many of my friends in the neighborhood where I grew up on Long Island, N.Y., spoke Spanish, and I loved the way it sounded.  I was also fiercely jealous of my friends' ability to speak another, "secret" language, and I was determined that I would be fluent in it one day, too!

So, after many years of study through college and graduate school (go Bruins!), as well as study abroad in Mexico City and many, many travels throughout Mexico and in other países hispanohablantes, I now have the privilege of teaching Spanish at Harvard-Westlake!  When I'm not teaching Spanish, I love to read, mostly in Spanish (I know, I know--this is not a news flash in any teacher's bio), run (I ran a half-marathon last year and am determined to run another this year), eat delicious new foods, such as these pastries in the confitería Las Violetas in Buenos Aires...



...bake cookies (perhaps you will soon see evidence of this yourselves...), eat (I will try to convince you to eat some foods that will be new to many of you this year, such as delicious chapulines, or fried grasshoppers with chile, salt and lemon), and travel.  Here is a picture from my trip to Buenos Aires in July of 2010 (during their winter--and there was snow on the ground!):



...And here is a picture from my last visit to New York, where I spent some time with my son, Gabriel, and other family on Fire Island:



Two of my guilty pleasures are sci-fi TV series and movies (Battlestar Galactica was the best!) and ice cream, which I consider an essential food group.

So, now you know a little bit about me.  I can't wait to get to know you this year, and I am looking forward to sharing some of what I love about el español and the people who speak it!  ¡Hasta pronto!

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario